Topic: John Passage: John 3:1–3:21
Christ Proclamation Church
February 8, 2015
Sermon Theme: If we're going to be saved and not condemned, safely entering the Kingdom of God, we must look to Jesus alone, the Messiah, and His finished work on the cross for salvation rather than our own good works.
I. CONFRONTING A PHARISEE - (vv.1-13)
A. Pharisee Introduction - (vv.1-2)
1. What's a Pharisee
2. When did Nicodemus come to Jesus?
3. Where is Nicodemus spiritually?
B. Pharisee Interaction - (vv.3-13)
1. Jesus rebukes - "Unless one is born again!"
2. Nicodemus shocked - "How can a man?"
3. Jesus responds - "Must be born again!"
4. Nicodemus objects - "How can that be?"
5. Jesus says - "How can you be a teacher?"
II. CONFRONTING WORKS RIGHTEOUSNESS - (vv.14-21)
A. Salvation is by Faith Alone - (vv.14-15)
B. Defense of Faith Based Salvation - (vv.16-21)
1. Whoever Believes - Jews and Gentiles
2. Eternal Life - Saved or Condemned
3. Must Believe - Darkness or Light
III. CONRONTING THE PHARISEE IN US - (Application)
A. Are you hiding in the darkness?
B. Are you depending on your own efforts?